The number of adults in America over the age of 65 continues to increase rapidly. But did you know that nearly 90 percent of seniors want to age in place? They prefer to stay in their own home instead of moving to a home for the elderly or assisted living community. No wonder home care in Wilmington, Delaware is growing in demand!
Personal care is something that becomes more difficult to do on one’s own, with age. Even simple things like boiling water, doing the dishes, and preparing simple meals become dangerous tasks. And the kitchen is one of the most used and dangerous places at home. Here are five reasons why you should reorganize and renovate your home kitchen:
- Falling is the leading cause of death at home among seniors, and slippery kitchen floors can cause accidents
- Kitchen fires caused by malfunctioning or unattended cooking equipment is a greater danger for seniors who cannot respond as quickly in emergencies
- Hand wounds from mishandling kitchen tools are a common sight in emergency rooms and can be especially dangerous for seniors
- Sanitation is a major concern in home kitchens where kitchen cloths aren’t regularly cleaned, and foodborne diseases may run rampant
- The general kitchen layout may be dangerous for seniors, with countertops being too high and walking spaces too narrow
Yes, hiring a stay-at-home caregiver to help seniors around the kitchen will help reduce the risk of accidents and other untoward incidents. But it’s better to be safe than sorry when it comes to the health and safety of your loved ones.
Looking for a qualified nurse or caregiver who can give companion care in Delaware? Call Greater Works Companion Care, LLC today!
Leave a Reply